Engineering Notebook – 12/29/2018

Attendance:

Alex, Zach, Cameron and Drew

 

Goals:  

  • To finish attaching the plexiglass
  • To create a new mineral collector with longer surgical tubing for more efficiency

Meeting Notes

  • Alex
    • Updated our dump position to a more reasonable level.
    • Added an initialization position so that the robot will fit in the 18 inches requirements. Lastly, Alex attached the plexiglass with the numbers to the robot. Attached the electronics to the beam on the back as well as the plexiglass.

20181229_144035

20181229_152309

20181229_143811

  • Cameron
    • Cameron measured and cut the new surgical tubing to fit our designs. We needed 7 inches of tubing, an 3 ½ PVC pipe, and the holes in the pipe needed to be of an inch. The zipties were added by Zach
  • Drew
    • Drew cut slits into the new mineral collector and put 3 zip ties in to its surgical tubes to strengthen them. He also drilled holes in the plexiglass.
  • Zach
    • The zipties were added by Zach as he helped fix other things on the robot.
    • Added standoff to pull string away from the xrail so it would extend and retract better

20181229_145903

20181229_143829

 

Engineering Notebook – 12/27/2018

Attendance:

Alex, Zach, Charles

 

Meeting Notes

  • Added Foam to the phone holder for protection for the phone
  • Added four bolts to the phone holder to reinforce it
  • Changed Gear ratio on the linear lift to make it have more torque, or power
  • Added L shaped flat bars to reinforce to robot’s frame
  • Changed wire positions so they didn’t get stuck in the gear
  • Added gear to the rotate function of the X-rail so that the X-rail would have a more optimal Speed to power ratio

 

20181227_192521

20181227_194956

20181227_18230120181227_18213620181227_17572820181227_17485620181227_17482420181227_174814

Engineering Notebook – 12/22/2018

Attendance:

Alex, Charles and Zach

 

Goals:  

  • Finish increasing gear ratio
  • Re attach plexiglass
  • Strengthen frame
  • Practice Driving
  • Attach coil wires

Meeting Notes

  • We realized that the hub we were using for the middle set of gears on the gear ratio was a motor hub, so we swapped it with an axle one.
  • We attached metal L-shaped pieces to many joints to prevent the robot from flexing, and to keep the XRail gear ratio together.

20181227_174824

20181227_174814

  • We changed the axle on our middle set of gears on the XRail. We saw that it was too long, so searched for a shorter axle. The hub on the gears was making it difficult to slide on an axle, so we switched it with one that slid easier.
  • We tested the linear lift. It was rotating very slowly, so we changed the motor as well as rotating the motor mount so the screw that holds the motor faces out more and is easier to access. The new motor didn’t change anything so we changed the program to make the linear lift more like the XRail that directly got power from how far the joystick was pushed. We also checked if it was the fault of the motor controller or low battery, but it wasn’t. We also made the target position 2000 instead of 10.
  • The robot was able to lift itself 5 to 6 inches up with the new changes.

20181215_154102

  • We swapped the wires to the coil wires, but the spinning servo to intake minerals didn’t work. This was not a wire issue though, because we tested them with other servos. We didn’t have time to fix this.

20181229_104707

 

Engineering Notebook – 12/13/2018

Attendance:

Alex, Charles, Cameron, Drew and Zach

 

Goals:  

  • To get the linear lift to a point where it can pick up the robot
  • To fix the speed of the motor that extends the XRail
  • To fix the problem with the motor that rotates the XRail not being strong enough to hold the weight of the fully extended XRail
  • Add a bar to the back of the robot to stop the XRail from slamming into the ground

Meeting Notes

  • To get the linear lift to a point where it can pick up the robot
    • Status: Complete
      • We have gotten the XRail to a point where it can pick up the robot successfully
        • The reason it was unable to work earlier was because the transmission of the previous motor was bad

20181213_185141

  • To fix the speed of the motor that extends the XRail
    • Status: Impossible
      • It is impossible to change the speed of the motor without making it go above 100% power
  • To fix the problem with the motor that rotates the XRail not being strong enough to hold the weight of the fully extended XRail
    • Status: Incomplete
      • We tried to use counterweights to balance the weight from the fully extended XRail but the counter weights were not heavy enough and te XRail continued to sink
  • Add a bar to the back of the robot to stop the XRail from slamming into the ground
    • Status: Undecided
      • Although we decided last meeting to add a bar to the back of the robot, we were undecided at the start of this meeting we figured that we would use the space for something else
  • List of issues to fix

20181213_204103

Engineering Notebook – 12/09/2018

Attendance:

Zach, Charles and Drew

 

Goals:  

  • To finish attaching the plexiglass
  • To create a new mineral collector with longer surgical tubing for more efficiency

Meeting Notes

  • Zach and Drew :
    • Attached wire extenders to xrail servo motors
    • Created a design to contain servo wires so they don’t get stuck in gears rubber bands tape and a long bolt
    • Made a direct connection from the motor to raise and lower the xrail and the xrail so that the xrail won’t slip off the axle

img_1334img_1333

  • Charles:
    • Made a test program that when you press a, it makes a servo go to00 then 0.00.